Nucleic Acid Isolation using the JANUS Automated Workstation
Nucleic acid (NA) isolation is a critical step in the processes that are widely used to screen for presence of bacterial pathogens, viruses, genetically modified foods, genetic abnormalities in cattle and other animal and plant species as well as a number of other applications that are used for monitoring and treatment of affected species and matrices.
The JANUS® Automated Workstation is capable of extracting DNA or RNA from virtually any sample type (buccal swabs, whole blood, serum, stained punches, tissue) using a variety of protocols, as well as the flexibility to handle both magnetic particle and filtration-based protocols in tube or plate format utilizing Varispan and the VersaTip Plus Option. Today, most researchers use magnetic bead protocols to prepare RNA and DNA suitable for diagnostic procedures. The JANUS system fully automates all the sample extraction, magnetic separation, washing and elution steps required using templates that direct all pipetting, plate movement, heating, and shaking/mixing steps needed.
The JANUS automated liquid handling workstation can enable:
- Promega® genomic DNA, plasmid DNA and RNA purification kits – vacuum filtration & magnetic bead.
- Promega Slicprep™ 96 Device - Low Abundant and Difficult-to-Extract Samples
- Invitrogen ChargeSwitch genomic DNA, plasmid DNA and RNA purification kits - vacuum filtration & magnetic bead.
- QIAamp blood, serum and buccal swab DNA and RNA purification kits – vacuum filtration & magnetic bead.
- Whatman® FTA® DNA Purification Kit - Stained Blood and Saliva card punch samples
- Chemagen NA Isolation Kits – blood, viral DNA/RNA - magnetic bead
- ABI Ambion RNA & Prepfiler Genomic DNA kits – vacuum filtration & magnetic bead
- Macherey-Nagel, Agencourt, AGOWA kits
Get the benefits:
- Fully automated walk-away NA purification with integrated robotic gripper prepares purified samples that are suitable for PCR genotyping, microarrays, and sequence analysis.
- Isolates Nucleic Acid from a variety of sample types in tube or plate format.
- Automated procedures consistently provide high quality NA with improved yields compared to manual sample processing with no cross contamination.
- Increase throughput and process 96 samples in two hours for one or multiple plates.
- Embedded contamination controls ensure precision pipetting on a per tip basis.
- Chose between plate and tube heat blocks for sample extractions.
- Choose between plates or tubes for purified DNA collection.
Recommended JANUS system configurations for Nucleic Acid Isolation
Nucleic Acid Isolation
- JANUS 2-Arm Integrator Platform with Varispan 4- or 8-tip arm and Gripper
- VersaTip™ Plus
- VARIOMAG Teleshake, 3 mm orbital diameter, or 4-plate IKA Shaker Option
- Quad 105C/70C Heater Option
- PerkinElmer 96-well Toroid Magnet
Additional considerations:Promega Slicprep 96 Device application: the IKA Shaker Option and Varispan AngleBracket are needed. And, for filtration based applications, substitute JANUS PVM Vacuum Filtration System Option for the magnet.
Combined Nucleic Acid Isolation and PCR Setup
- Same general configuration as for NA Isolation
- JANUS with long deck platform
- Low Volume Disposable Tip